Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hindi vs English News Channels

Do you really think the language of communication determines interests of people/community? I don’t think any news channel would like showing news which doesn’t interest its audience and would voluntarily decrease their TRP. But does that mean that the hindi news channel audience is so much interested in news like someone murdered in some XYZ sector of Noida and they want the journalists to follow the investigation day in and day out! Or may it be a rape case and how does the victim feel or breaking news like the IPS officer gets his absconding pet back.

Dude grow up! There are lots of other constructive things to be shown. Are the news channel just about some or the other “BREAKING NEWS” which I never found to be that much breaking anyhow and showing crime documentaries after 22:00hrs? I respect the English news channels till the moment I am writing this blog because of the content they show. May be my view differs from other audience because of the content which affects me and bothers me might be different from what matters for other people. But don’t the news channels have a social responsibility towards the nation too. I remember a month back they were blindly behind “THE GREAT KHALI” and the news these days is none other than a girl murdered in Noida. Are they not bothered anyhow about the Presidential election in US or what happened to the NASA’s Phoenix, or the inflation rate and how to fight back?

But this is not just about the news providers fault. They will furnish the news which people find interesting and to my sheer astonishment people are really interested in crap things. So just a plea to all you to please leave the victims in isolation as they are already so much agonized and you don’t feel pity on their plight rather you just watch that and talk about it on snacks and lunch tables. Be constructive, you won’t anyhow get benefited from all such news..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. But I think no matter where you go, you will feel the news isn't covering the correct issues. Take for instance here in the USA- I feel we need to cover more issues than the Presidential Election.
I think we are getting used to the type of news we see. And I don't think language determines anything for a people. There was a famous linguist that had that same outlook on language.
But I guess the population of our areas want to see the boring news that we don't want to watch.