Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Traditional vs New Courses



Last week I received call from my younger cousin brother. He was happy but was still lost. CBSE board declared X class results and he scored quite well in that (for those of you who don't know CBSE, it stands for Central Board of Secondary Education. It is the biggest authority for education in India at school level). So he was happy. But still was confused about his future. He asked me that can I assure him a good job, fat paycheck and ample onsite opportunity if he get into Bachelors of Engineering course in computer science stream and obviously clears that with good marks. Whoops boy no one in this world can guarantee that and neither did I.

He was again lost. He called up with the expectations that I would be able to mentor and guide him for a bright and fruitful career. His mind was just jumping between taking up traditional courses and opting for the new courses that lots of institutions have to offer. There was a time (may be in 20th century) when being an engineer/doctor/lawyer was something very prestigious and rewarding. But the world is not the same today, today education is just a criterion which can take you to a level and can give thrust to your profile but what matters is your grip and know how of what domain you are working in. There are hell lots of courses available today which you might not have even heard of. And they are all specialize ones. Have you ever heard of IITs providing specialization in nanoscience, biomedical sciences, applied economics, environmental science and engineering, earth sciences, polymer science, pulp and paper technology or Pune University providing P.G. Diploma in Geo-environmental appraisal and Management?

These seem to be pretty specialized courses and there are industries and institutions working in these niche areas which can give you ample opportunities. So what is holding you back? Get onto www and search for something which interests you and around which you can weave a remarkable, rewarding and self satisfying career.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruwahaha! I'm on the commenting spree on your blog ;) !

I just couldn't hold myself from commenting. So here we go!

Your cousin is a smart fella & I'm sure he's got a good career ahead. I wonder why you told him that no one can ensure him a good job, fat paycheck and ample onsite opportunity? There's a tribe that has the power to turn dreams into reality. The tribe is called "employers".

Why did you not encourage your cousin to be an employer? You did give him a good advice, but I feel there could have been a better advice. Why should all smart guys seek jobs than give jobs?

Well, it entirely depends on your cousin to choose his career. I'm sure he'll do fantastically well in whatever career he choses. Having a good number of job givers is the need of the time. For who's going to give jobs to your kids?

[Nothing personal about it]

Have fun!

Best Blogger said...

Big K!!

It’s really good to know that I am heard!! My answer to the query was more or less based around my previous post alt="Future of Indian Software Industry"/>.. I really respect your suggestion of being an employer, but do you really think being an employer is easier. I doubt it is much tougher to be a recognized employer than to be a recognized employee. What say?

Anonymous said...

Of course, its not easier. But the the alternate careers you suggested aren't easier either. My friend's cousin did a course in bio-technology and there are only a few jobs available!

I'm worried for the future generations. Who's going to give jobs to them?